It’s been a very long time since I did a good old recipe post! Yesterday evening I had an awful headache and a lot of pain in my hip and wasn’t up to cooking the my lentil & vegetable bolognese I had planned because of the pain but my wonderful boyfriend offered to cook and managed pretty well but needed quite a bit of instruction so I thought I would share this recipe with you all as a quick and easy, yummy, vegan dinner that even my boyfriend, who is a novice cook, at best, can make.
Lentil & Vegetable Bolognese
Makes: 4 portions
Cost per serve: £1.05
- 400g Brown Rice Pasta (100g per person)
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- half a red pepper
- half a courgette
- 6-8 button mushrooms
- 1 tin of green lentils
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp tamari
- 3tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g passata
- 2tbsp nutritional yeast (Optional but yummy)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the veg. Chop the onion, mince the garlic, grate the carrots, chop the mushrooms, courgette, pepper and sun-dried tomatoes into bite-sized chunks.
- Begin to cook the pasta, as per the instructions on the packet.
- Heat a little oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic.
- Once the onion has become translucent add the carrots and courgette followed by the mushrooms and pepper. Cook 2 minutes.
- Then add the turmeric, paprika, herbs and sun-dried tomatoes and stir in.
- Add the passata and tamari coating all the vegetables and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Stir in the lentils before adding the tomato puree and nutritional yeast. Let it simmer, stirring throughout until all warmed through.
- Drain your pasta and place it in your serving bowl.
- Top with your bolognese mixture, serve, top with some more nutritional yeast or vegan cheese and enjoy! 🙂